We made this on our kitchen day this week. It is delicious! The Montmorency dried cherries were a bit of a splurge but well worth it. Granola is filling, nutritious and takes the place of cold cereal for an easy breakfast.
From Taste of Home
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup thawed unsweetened apple juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 6 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups dried cherries or cranberries (I used Montmorency Cherries... Yum!)
- 1 cup slivered almonds (I added whole almonds as well, since my family likes them and it's a good protein.)
- In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, milk powder, honey, apple juice concentrate and oil. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved; stir in extract. In a large bowl, combine the oats, cherries and almonds. Drizzle with sugar mixture and mix well.
- Spread in a thin layer in two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool completely. Serve with yogurt if desired. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 quarts.